Autore Topic: Looking for crash site of Baltimore "U" FW799 16/4/45 possible Lusiana area.  (Letto 3173 volte)

Offline Mogsby64

Maybe someone can help me please..

I am looking for any information on :
Martin Baltimore "U" FW-799. 500 Sqdrn. Took off from Cesenatico airbase at 00:05 Hrs 16/4/45 and failed to return. The reason for loss is listed as unknown.

Crew details in photo.
Flt Sgt D R Worsdale is my uncle.

Mission details : A RECCE. Rovrigo-Legnaro-Vicenza-Treviso-Mestre-Padua-Rovrigo. Aircraft failed to return to base. Bomb load 32 x 40lb 30 x 4lb incd. Please see attached scan.

The 4 aircrew where found buried in Lusiana town cemetery in 1946.  There are no details of a crash site. Looking at the Recce run, I would imagine the crew got into difficulty over Vicenza as Lusiana is to the North of there. Treviso is to the east. I think the crash site is somewhere around the Lusiana Town area.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mick
« Ultima modifica: 14 Set 2015, 12:00:27 da mazwork »

micky.38

• Visitatore
Hi Mogsby64

Thanks for the documents, i'll write to Lusiana Council to have more informations, i've heard rumors about an "english plane" crashed in the area, stay tuned for news....

micky.38

• Visitatore
I've checked this book (download link: http://www.giuliocesaro.it/pdf/storici/70clero%20guerra%20e%20resistenza.pdf) about the WWII over the Asiago Plateau and surrounding area. There is some notes about planes downed in the area, but nothing in the area around Lusiana.

I'm still waiting for news from Lusiana Council....

Offline Mogsby64

Hi micky.38,
Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me, I will have a look at the link you posted. maybe Lusiana council has some information, I hope so.
Kind Regards
Mick

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
Dear Mick,
in a few days I will go to Padova ... If you like, I send you the picture of the headstone of your uncle.

Offline Mogsby64

Hi Fabio,
I only have one picture that I bought from the TWGPP.org. I would be grateful for more pictures. It would be nice to have a photo of the 4 crew graves as they are buried next to each other. 
Kind Regards
Mick

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
Hi Fabio,
I only have one picture that I bought from the TWGPP.org. I would be grateful for more pictures. It would be nice to have a photo of the 4 crew graves as they are buried next to each other. 
Kind Regards
Mick

I agree.

micky.38

• Visitatore
Well, until today no news from Lusiana's autorities, we will do the work by ourselves...

I've checked various sources about planes crashed in the area, no one in or around Lusiana, others fell just around Thiene and Schio, but no Baltimores, only P-47 and Axis planes.

I'll going on with the researches, looking in the SOE and OSS military missions messages about downed planes....

micky.38

• Visitatore
..as in other cases, Lusiana should have been only a "collecting point" of the Registration Graves units for bodies coming from other burials....

Offline Mogsby64

Thank you Micky.38,
It never crossed my mind that Lusiana may be a collective place for interim burials.You guys are good :). I read a lot of files that I have and I am blind I lack the knowledge you guys have accumulated. I can send off for D R Worsdale's casualty pack from the MOD, If that is any help. I have refrained from doing that so far as the copies are blanked out in some areas. All the casualty packs are in the process of being handed to the National archives, but that will take years for them to get to 1945. I appreciate all that you do as a team effort  :good:
No pressure LOL :)

micky.38

• Visitatore
Well... i've sent a lot of mails: To the Lusiana town council, to the Asiago Council, to the ANPI Vicenza, to the Lusiana's Parson, to the 7 Comuni Newspaper, and NO ONE take the time to reply, only to say "don't bother me"...

The ONLY ONE that gave me a reply is the Barman of the "Baito Monte Corno". I get in touch with him in Facebook some days ago, i've explained the entire deal, and he was so kind to ask around. The reply is YES, a plane went down somewhere over Monte Corno, a mountain between Granezza and Lusiana, but anyone was able, till now, to tell exactly where...
The chase will going on....
Monte Corno was held, in the summer 1918, by the British Expeditionary Force against the Austrian troops. The trenches around the mountain are well preserved. Granezza was also the Command Post of the British Liaison Mission "RUINA" of the SOE, i'm trying to get the messages of this mission looking for evidences of our Baltimore...
« Ultima modifica: 27 Set 2015, 02:10:33 da micky.38 »

Offline Mogsby64

:good:
Thank you for your efforts, i am very thankful.
We get one step closer.
I have not heard back from the war graves commission. I asked them about 'Freedom of information' request!. Maybe we can FOI the files :).
Mick

Offline Taras Bulba

It is possible that one of the planes crashed on Mount Corno is one of the planes lost in the attack of the railway station in Rovereto:

http://www.lucavalente.it/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=61

Among other things for information you could ask the author of the page Luca Valente, I think it's a leading expert on the history of World War II in that particular area of Italy.

I have relatives in the southern area of the Mount Corno and (I know that is not an evidence) during the war the only time they have heard the voice of a plane crash with pilots dead (so no view with their own eyes, only the voice that the plane had crashed and burned) it was somewhere in the valley of the Leogra (and on which I have never found anything).

micky.38

• Visitatore
Thank you Taras, i wrote to Luca Valente a week ago, on his two e-mail, but without reply.... The only reply was from Gianni, the owner of Baita Monte Corno, who told that a couple of residents remember "a plane crashed somewhere" around Monte Corno, but they was unable to tell exactly WHERE. May be toward Granezza or in another direction. I'm still waiting for more news.

micky.38

• Visitatore
Baltimore "U" FW799 16/4/45 - WE GOT IT
« Risposta #14 il: 01 Ott 2015, 11:38:41 »
Plane Found! Thanks to Antonio Cantele, of Lusiana's Museum, we have the crash site!
The witnesses said that the plane disintegrated completely during the impact, and so the bodies of the crewmen...

Hope to get more news later salutomilitare

take-off