Autore Topic: Vickers Wellington Mk. X, Serial No. ME993, Apricena  (Letto 1627 volte)

Offline Hugh

Dear friends,

I wonder if anybody might be in a position to help me with my enquiries into the loss & crash site of an RAF aircraft on 4th February 1945 ?

This was a Vickers Wellington Mk. X from 40 Squadron RAF flying from Foggia Main airfield on a supply drop mission, which crashed at or near Apricena shortly after take off for reasons I've yet to establish causing the death of the entire crew of 5

It had the Serial Number ME993 and the individual Squadron Code Letter for this particular aircraft was "F" 

In fact, a second aircraft crashed from the same Squadron in same area whilst on same mission - this was MF371 with Code Letter "X" and, in this case, the Rear Gunner survived the accident

For personal reasons it is really the first mentioned aircraft I'm primarily interested in

My questions are, basically, if the actual crash site of this aircraft is known and, if so, is it still evident and whether it is possible to obtain some photographs of it

Also, is the crash something that's remembered by any of the inhabitants of Apricena (I found this website, http://www.comune.apricena.fg.it, for the municipality but wasn't sure if they'd receive queries in English language) and were the remains or bodies of the crew recovered from the wreckage of the plane & buried locally before being re-interred at the Bari War Cemetery (I believe all 5 members of the crew were killed outright as a result of the crash)

Furthermore, if anyone who's associated with the website lives near Bari and it would not present too much of a difficulty I'd be grateful for photographs of the crew's gravestones - the individual graves have the following reference numbers

VII. D. 32
VII. D. 34
VII. D. 36
VII. D. 38
VII. D. 40

Any possible assistance you can give me in respect of this matter would be greatly appreciated

By the way, I'm living in small town called Stonehaven, which is in North-East of Scotland

Thank you in advance ;

Kind Regards

Hugh Ramsay

Offline mazwork

• Amministratore
  • Responsabile catalogatore reperti.
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline mazwork

• Amministratore
  • Responsabile catalogatore reperti.
Re:Vickers Wellington Mk. X, Serial No. ME993, Apricena
« Risposta #2 il: 10 Ago 2013, 14:44:26 »
And here, as example, one gravestone...

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=1456458

salutomilitare
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
« Risposta #3 il: 14 Ago 2013, 18:36:06 »
Hi,
in a few days I will have the pictures of the tombstones in the cemetery of Commonwealth of Bari.

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
« Risposta #4 il: 21 Ago 2013, 12:20:52 »
 salutomilitare