Autore Topic: HK508  (Letto 2450 volte)

Offline GMS Mossie

HK508
« il: 19 Mag 2012, 19:34:21 »
Hi everyone,

I would like to say a huge thank you to Fabio Rimondi and the team for the piece I have just found online regarding the Copparo Mosquito.

I am the grandson of Sqdr Ldr George Milner Smith DFC who was the pilot on HK508.

My father died when I was two and I never really found out what happened to my grandfather. I have been doing some research and had found that he had been shot down whilst stationed in Italy with 256 Squadron. I then found out where he was buried - but this latest piece with a photo of his grave is wonderful.

Thank you to all the team at AD'A who helped with this find.

If anyone has a detailed list of what was found at the site, which piece of aircraft etc I would love to know.

Thank you again,

Guy Milner-Smith

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
Re: HK508
« Risposta #1 il: 19 Mag 2012, 21:40:00 »
Hello Guy Milner-Smith, nice to see you in our forum for enthusiasts of research.
Unfortunately we have not found anything of the Copparo Mosquito because research has identified an A-20 Boston and his crew.
http://www.archeologidellaria.org/index.php?topic=1109.0
and hope to find something ... You have other info of George Milner Sqdr Ldr Smith? A photo?

Fabio
« Ultima modifica: 19 Mag 2012, 22:02:07 da Fabio Raimondi »

Offline GMS Mossie

« Risposta #2 il: 19 Mag 2012, 22:31:26 »
Hi Fabio, thank you for your reply.
I am a little confused a I had found a piece by you online with photos of my grandfather's grave and the location of a mosquito.
It would appear I have jumped the gun here.
I will study the link you sent, thank you.
I will also try and find pictures.
All the best.
Guy

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
« Risposta #3 il: 19 Mag 2012, 23:10:55 »
Hi Guy, no problem :-)
you're welcome

Fabio

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
« Risposta #4 il: 20 Mag 2012, 00:10:43 »
from here: http://www.ghostbombers.com/NSG%209/wernerhensel%27smo.html

Thanks to the discovery at the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv of the Luftwaffe’s “Morning Report West of 12.4.45” it has at last been possible to identify the aricraft shot down by Werner Hensel. the report refers to the events of the night 11/12 April and reads:

Italy... Own operations. NSG. 9: 6 Ju 87, 20.30-06.10, attack on artillery empacements in the region of the front without any special observations of effects. In aerial combat 1 Mosquito shot down. No losses. 1 Ju 88 carried out flash photography reconnaissance, Naples - Salerno.

While this report mentions no sorties by Fw 190s, it seems clear that it must refer to Werner Hensel’s combat — NSG 9’s air combat claims were not exactly numerous.

While no Mosquito was lost on the night of 11/12 April, a Black Widow (P-61B-6 NO, serial number 42-39515) of the USAAF’s 414th Night Fighter Squadron failed to return. An encounter with a P-61 explains the US "stars and bars" that Hensel saw on his adversary. The date is a week earlier than he remembered and his aircraft recognition was faulty but his victory was real.

"Frontdoor 50", the P-61 of 2nd Lts. Lael M. Cheely (pilot), Peter J. McGirr and Lucien M. Beam (radar observers) had left Pontedera at 20.56 hrs. on the 11th on an intruder/bombing mission to Ghedi aerodrome. They called in immediately they became airborne but were not heard from again, despite numerous calls from base.

If the P-61 lost on 11/12 April was Hensel's "Mosquito" then it seems probable that No. 256 Squadron's Mosquito JT/A (HK 508) of S/L G.M. Smith DFC and F/O H.J. Wilmer DFC, lost in the early hours of 19 April, was brought down by ground fire as was suspected at the time. Two American Mosquitoes lost on 22 April both took off around midday to operate against the Po crossings.

We do not know whether NSG 9's Maintenance Technical Sergeant examined the right wreck when sent to confirm Hensel's victory. Perhaps he mistook the remains of the P-61 for a Mosquito or perhaps a Mosquito which crashed in the right area is what he found.

Hensel had two Flugbücher logging 656 flights but they were torn up by the Americans who captured him at the war's end. A contemporary record of the times he was in the air would have helped enormously in resolving this whole issue.

Offline GMS Mossie

« Risposta #5 il: 17 Ott 2012, 13:53:52 »
Hi Fabio,
Do you have an email address I could contact you on please?
Guy
« Ultima modifica: 17 Ott 2012, 13:55:12 da GMS Mossie »

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
« Risposta #6 il: 18 Ott 2012, 10:26:12 »
Hi Guy, you have a private message.

Regards

Fabio

Offline Chloe

« Risposta #7 il: 09 Gen 2013, 15:15:07 »
Hi Guy,

They are a fantastic bunch in here !!!

I'm also searching for my granfather from the 256sq,
Haydn Hounam Hopkin, mia 12.2.45
so bizzarely they may have been friends !?!?
Do you have many photos ?
I have done quite a bit of research on them,
so if I can help in anyway,
I'd be happy to

Best wishes

Chloe
 :)

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #8 il: 11 Gen 2013, 21:28:41 »

Hello Chloe, welcome on board!
Marco  Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem