Autore Topic: LOST CRASH SITE OF WELLINGTON LP127-P  (Letto 7146 volte)

Offline collers

LOST CRASH SITE OF WELLINGTON LP127-P
« il: 08 Apr 2012, 16:32:23 »
Hi everyone,
MARCO has directed me to this forum from our contact on http://www.ww2talk.com.

I am hoping someone might have some knowledge of a Vickers Wellington crash.

DETAILS:

Wellington LP127-P  flying with RAF 40 Squadron and based at Foggia Main.

Crew
BROAD, FREDERICK JOHN Sergeant 1800908 (Pilot) RAF
BAKER, FRANK HENRY Sergeant 1399299 (Navigator) RAF
BARTRAM, RICHARD ROY CLEMENTS Sergeant 1604379 RAF
DESICO, PASCAL ALBERT JOSEPH Warrant Officer Class I R/144997 Royal Canadian Air Force Bomb Aimer
NUTTYCOMBE, KENNETH JAMES Sergeant 1693660 RAF

Aircraft reported missing on a mission on the night of 24/25 May 1944 from Foggia Main to bomb targets at Valmontone
A wreckage report later indicated that the aircraft crashed into a heavily wooded hillside at 01-00 on 25th May somewhere SE of Laviano.
Three bodies were recovered by local people and are now interred in Salerno British Military Cemetery.

Sergeant Frank Henry Baker, the navigator was my uncle and I am trying to find out more about the crash and it's location.

If anyone has any knowledge of this I would be very grateful

Many thanks

Collers

Offline mazwork

• Amministratore
  • Responsabile catalogatore reperti.
Re: LOST CRASH SITE OF WELLINGTON LP127-P
« Risposta #1 il: 08 Apr 2012, 16:59:53 »
Well, a new mission for Salerno 1943...  salutomilitare
Ad augusta per angusta

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #2 il: 08 Apr 2012, 17:55:14 »

Hello Collers,

Nice to read you here in Archeologi dell'Aria, too.  :)
Welcome and very best wishes for your interesting search. I kindly suggest you to enclose here the direct link of your interesting topic on ww2talk.com, in order to spread its informations and to help our users while trying to assist you - so, for instance, they would not waste time for an already acquired information or paragraph.

Here in this forum we have some very good researchers, all able to speak and read in Italian!, so I think they will be able to help you.

I also translated a short letter for Collers in Italian, sending it to several institutions and local associations near Laviano. Furthermore, I suggested him to buy and read the well promising "Out of the Italian Night", directly concerning the operations from Foggia airdome.

I remain at your disposal for further information.

Kind regards to you and all the readers,

Marco
Marco  Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
« Risposta #3 il: 08 Apr 2012, 18:15:29 »
Hi Collers, welcome on board  :good:

Offline SALERNO 1943

• SALERNO 1943 AIR FINDERS
« Risposta #4 il: 08 Apr 2012, 20:37:42 »
Hi Colin! Nice to meet you here.

We have already start with research. Our friend already contacted someone in Laviano that know about a crash site. But he is a USA crash. However we plan to meet this man in Laviano that surely will be useful to help us to find also "your" crash site. I noticed about this crash site when we discovered other Wellington crash site based in Amendola. Some informations cames from shepperds wo know about this crash in wooden area. So I think there are good reasons to believe that Salerno Air Finders can find crash. We need just some time because we are working to a exibhition in these days and we have other crash site requests to investigate.

Here are the photos of crew graves in Salerno War Cemetery that our friend Vincenzo Avallone take for you.

Best regards, Matteo (please excuse me for my bad english)
www.1943salerno.it

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1707/lapidi.jpg

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2824/lapidee.jpg

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8474/lapidebaker.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2967/lapidebartram.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7034/lapidebroad.jpg

Offline collers

« Risposta #5 il: 09 Apr 2012, 01:18:22 »
Thank you all for your replies and it's very nice to meet an old friend Marco from the English site.

If anyone is interested in the story of my uncle so far please visit my Thread at  http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/war-air/43751-wellington-x-lost-out-foggia-main-italy.html Thanks to the help of many good people I already know quite a bit about the crash but not the exact location or whether any evidence remains. Matteo from www.1943salerno.it has been in touch with me by e-mail and it is great to meet him here on this forum.

Hello Matteo. It is very nice to meet you here on this site and thank you for the interest you have shown and particularly the very good photographs. I appreciate you must be very busy and I will be as patient as I can.

Best regards to all

Collers
« Ultima modifica: 09 Apr 2012, 01:21:24 da collers »

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #6 il: 09 Apr 2012, 14:18:28 »

Hello Collers,

You're in good hands now.. Matteo is a great researcher. Be sure he will be able to help you.

Offline collers

« Risposta #7 il: 09 Apr 2012, 15:38:46 »
Thank you for all the encouragement Marco and Matteo.

I shall wait as patiently as I can.

Incidentally Marco, I have a copy of the book you recommended "Out Of The Italian Night" by Maurice G. Lihou. The story he tells of the same raid as my uncle but with a different squadron is frightening and very scary. It is a brilliant book.

Best regards
Collers

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #8 il: 17 Apr 2012, 08:19:01 »

Hi all,

I already wrote to Collers about that, but I wanted to inform all the researchers engaged in this hunt: I received a kind letter from Laviano.

"Dear Dr. Marco Soggetto, concerning your request for information, here in Laviano there are some aged persons who remember the crash of the plane. I am at your disposal and we know the real point of impact, moreover some of them also saw some parts of the wreckage. I contacted the commander of the municipal police in Laviano who gave his disposal for a contact. For further information, I remain at your disposal.
Dr. Enrico Flauto, President of the Association Amici di Laviano."

I already wrote back, thanking with many regards for this kind and unwaited, positive reply, and above all to ask if they are able to speak or write in English. If not, I may act as a translator between James and Laviano - if needed.

Kind regards and have a nice week,

Marco

Offline collers

« Risposta #9 il: 17 Apr 2012, 20:27:59 »
Many thanks to you Marco for this very welcome news and also thanks to Dr. Enrico Flauto for replying  to the request for information.

Hopefully my search regarding my uncle's death will soon be nearing a conclusion.

Kindest regards

Collers

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #10 il: 19 Apr 2012, 15:00:39 »

Yes we hope so.. Now we'll wait for Matteo!  :)

Offline collers

« Risposta #11 il: 07 Mag 2012, 16:14:24 »
Hi everyone,

Interesting news has been received by e-mail from Matteo of Salerno 1943. A team of 6 have worked very hard on their first expedition but so far without success. Matteo reported the area to be searched is vast and access is very difficult with heavily wooded mountainsides. They found a small piece of aluminium which may have come from the aircraft but have not yet discovered the actual crash site.

Matteo promises to return with more helpers and equipment and hopefully this will lead to success. I am very grateful for the huge effort and hard work put in by Salerno 1943 and particularly to Matteo for keeping me informed.
For those who are interested Salerno 1943 now has a page dedicated to the search for Wellington LP127 at the following link.

http://www.1943salerno.it/ritrovamenti/53-il-bombardiere-inglese-wellington-x-lp127-p.html

For English speakers this page can be roughly translated using Babel Fish on Yahoo.

Many thanks to Salerno 1943 and Matteo Pierro
Collers

Offline collers

ON THIS DAY 25TH MAY 1944 AT 0100 HRS
« Risposta #12 il: 25 Mag 2012, 08:44:32 »
+ 1399299 Sergeant Frank Henry Baker Navigator 40 Squadron RAF Aged 24 +

Remembering with  pride my uncle Frank and the crew of Wellington LP127-P who lost their lives on a mountainside south-east of  Laviano, Italy at 0100 hrs on 25th May 1944.

1800908   Sergeant Frederick John Broad       Aged 22   Pilot
1604379   Sergeant Richard Roy Clements Bartram   Aged 30   Wireless Operator/Gunner
R/144997 W/O  Pascal Albert Joseph Desico (RCAF)   Aged 27   Bomb Aimer
1693660   Sergeant Kenneth James Nuttycombe      Aged 21   Rear Gunner      

"Some corner of a foreign field......"

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
« Risposta #13 il: 25 Mag 2012, 11:08:40 »
 salutomilitare

Offline Marco S.

Re: ON THIS DAY 25TH MAY 1944 AT 0100 HRS
« Risposta #14 il: 27 Mag 2012, 19:58:17 »
+ 1399299 Sergeant Frank Henry Baker Navigator 40 Squadron RAF Aged 24 +

Remembering with  pride my uncle Frank and the crew of Wellington LP127-P who lost their lives on a mountainside south-east of  Laviano, Italy at 0100 hrs on 25th May 1944.

1800908   Sergeant Frederick John Broad       Aged 22   Pilot
1604379   Sergeant Richard Roy Clements Bartram   Aged 30   Wireless Operator/Gunner
R/144997 W/O  Pascal Albert Joseph Desico (RCAF)   Aged 27   Bomb Aimer
1693660   Sergeant Kenneth James Nuttycombe      Aged 21   Rear Gunner      

"Some corner of a foreign field......"

Lest we forget.