Autore Topic: Airfields on Wikipedia  (Letto 8857 volte)

Offline RonaldV

• Abandoned and Little Known Airfields in Europe
Airfields on Wikipedia
« il: 12 Giu 2011, 18:16:37 »
Since I began researching European airfields for my website I've found that Wikipedia is far from reliable for this kind of research. Articles are inaccurate, copies of other articles on similar websites, and sometimes even plain wrong. Even worse: Articles in the English edition of Wikipedia sometimes contain completely different information from local editions.

For instance: the article on Tarquinia airfield says: "Today the site of the airfield is indistinguishable from the many agricultural fields in the area". It lists the coordinates of the airfield as

(Google Earth Link).
Guess what we see at those coordinates? Are those agricultural fields, or a runway?

http://www.ronaldv.nl/abandoned/airfields/IT/lazio/tarquinia-2005.jpg
Airfields on Wikipedia

Another example: Agrigento Airfield. Wikipedia says: "Today, the site of the airfield is abandoned, although several runways and what appears to be a former sports facility (also abandoned) is visible at the former airfield site." It would be humor if it was not so sad... At the location that Wikipedia gives

(Google Earth Link)

we see what superficially appears to be a runway. Now, zoom in a little, and you may begin to get doubts. Go to the 3D view and you will see your doubts are correct: the 'runway' is actually a road on the side of a hill! Want to see more? Add photos, and try to open some. Then open this link and compare. Welcome to Valle dei Tempoli, a UNESCO world heritage site since 1998! Still, the entire internet still claims this to be a former Luftwaffe/Reggia Aeronautica/USAAF/AMI airfield!   :haha:

Do you know more examples, in Italy or abroad?

micky.38

• Visitatore
Re: Airfields on Wikipedia
« Risposta #1 il: 12 Lug 2011, 21:07:49 »
Tarquinia airfield is, without doubt, an abandoned airfield!!!

Offline marquis

« Risposta #2 il: 13 Lug 2011, 18:45:17 »
Dear RonaldV,
those Wikipedia notes on abandoned italians airfields, although a praiseworthy effort, are compiled generically. Some data are correct but others are really fictitious.  Whenever the today's use/destination is unknown (mostly because they cannot locate it geographically) you find the statement:
"Today the site of the airfield is indistinguishable from the many agricultural fields in the area".
Well I have found out in some occasions that today the same area is a city!
So my advice is: don't rely on them, at least for tracking the original position of the airfield on a map. 

P.s.: in Agrigento there's never been a Regia Aeronautica/Luftwaffe landing ground during WWII. As far as I know the only axis airfields in the Agrigento area were Sciacca and Licata.

Offline RonaldV

• Abandoned and Little Known Airfields in Europe
« Risposta #3 il: 19 Lug 2011, 22:19:27 »
Dear RonaldV,
those Wikipedia notes on abandoned italians airfields, although a praiseworthy effort, are compiled generically. Some data are correct but others are really fictitious.  Whenever the today's use/destination is unknown (mostly because they cannot locate it geographically) you find the statement:
"Today the site of the airfield is indistinguishable from the many agricultural fields in the area".
Well I have found out in some occasions that today the same area is a city!
So my advice is: don't rely on them, at least for tracking the original position of the airfield on a map. 
Your advice is exactly what I was thinking. They contain some good info, but you better double check with other airfields.
Citazione
P.s.: in Agrigento there's never been a Regia Aeronautica/Luftwaffe landing ground during WWII. As far as I know the only axis airfields in the Agrigento area were Sciacca and Licata.
I thought so, but it nice to get confirmation from you. :) The same information has been posted (in english) all over the web, by the way. Do you know which one was the airfield that the Cobelligerent Air Force operated from?