Autore Topic: Buongirorno!  (Letto 2573 volte)

Offline RonaldV

• Abandoned and Little Known Airfields in Europe
Buongirorno!
« il: 03 Giu 2011, 16:28:18 »
Ciao! I am RonaldV, webmaster of Abandoned and forgotten airfields in Europe. Mickey.38 led me here after mentioning my site to you all (grazie, Mickey!). I hope you don't mind me posting in English across your forum, my 'knowledge' of Italian is too poor, so I will not offend you with it!  ;)

A little introduction about myself: In 1995 I was in the Reggia Aeronautica Militare Ollandese (is that a correct translation?  :blush2: ) stationed for a 100day tour with the US Air Force in Puglia and living in the town of Vieste. I arrived there during the bombings of the Serbs in Bosnia, and left on the 28th of December. I was working on a radar station in the area, and in my off duty time I got interested in the local area. In 2000 I became a civilian, and began working for an IT-company in the Netherlands. Last November I decided to do something with the information I had collected about military airfields all over Europe. This is what led to 'Abandoned and forgotten airfields in Europe'. If you browse the site you will notice it is not all about 'abandoned' airfields. I don't have a real definition, but airfields must not be considered 'well known' to the public to qualify to be listed (for this reason, some dutch airfields may be deleted in the near future).

Because Europe has many languages it is not at all easy to find the information I would like. I am fluent at Dutch and English, have a reasonable knowledge of German, and some knowledge of Italian and French. Because of the language difficulties I was very happy when Mickey invited me to come to this forum, I am hoping you may be willing to help me out when I run into translation problems. Thank you for your hospitality, Mickey!  8)

Offline Fabry

Re: Buongirorno!
« Risposta #1 il: 03 Giu 2011, 22:15:41 »
Hi RonaldV,

welcome and nice to meet you!  :hi:
Your website will be very interesting.
I have a friend in the Netherlands, he is a Dutch historian of the 82nd US Airborne Division.
He came in Sicily two times in the past years and this month he will come again.
CIAO!

Fabry

P.S.: your translation is nearly correct: Regia Aeronautica Militare Olandese...  ;)
"...talvolta, nel supremo cielo, soffittato dalla distanza, veleggiavano grosse argentee fomazioni di liberators [..]: veleggiavano grandiosamente, da galeoni, lasciandosi dietro, sul non scalfito turchino, dense, corpose, non labili scie di prezioso bianco..."  Beppe Fenoglio, Il Partigiano Johnny

Offline Fabio

• Amministratore
    • Il Forum dell'AdA - Associazione di Promozione Storico Culturale.
« Risposta #2 il: 04 Giu 2011, 14:07:51 »
Hello RonaldV! Welcome on board  :good:

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #3 il: 05 Giu 2011, 13:49:49 »

Hi dear,

Welcome!
Really fascinating project and a wonderful website... Very original. Thank you for sharing both your knowledge and passion with us!  :)
Marco  Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem

Offline RonaldV

• Abandoned and Little Known Airfields in Europe
« Risposta #4 il: 05 Giu 2011, 18:45:45 »

Hi dear,

Welcome!
Really fascinating project and a wonderful website... Very original. Thank you for sharing both your knowledge and passion with us!  :)
Thank you, but to be honest: it is not my original idea. The original idea is Paul Freemans Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields in the USA. All I did was take his idea and make it European. :)

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #5 il: 05 Giu 2011, 19:59:49 »

Hi again,

Anyway it remains a very good idea! I think that here we have a lot of hidden historical treasures, and the most part of the people would never know them...

Here around Biella, my hometown, we have a small airport, Cerrione.
Marco  Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem