Autore Topic: Italian Miles M-14 Magister aircraft  (Letto 3014 volte)

Offline tracker

Italian Miles M-14 Magister aircraft
« il: 06 Mag 2011, 08:50:24 »
Dear colleagues !

I read some years ago about one Miles M-14A Magister aircraft, that was registered in Italy.
It was airplane with serial number 616, military serial number L8138, and it was previously registered in Great Britain as G-AITY. Later it was sold in Italy and registered as I-AITY. This Magister crashed in Italy in 1954.

I shall pleased to get any images - photos, drawings, profiles - of I-AITY.

Thank You in advance.

Regards,
Tracker.

Offline Marco S.

Re: Italian Miles M-14 Magister aircraft
« Risposta #1 il: 11 Mag 2011, 16:09:58 »

Welcome here, dear Tracker,

Well, this is quite a difficult question!
Looking for "Incidente aereo 1954" (airplane accident 1954) on Google I only found this record,

http://www.publifoto.net/rps/art.php?key=no&RCCrps=INCIDENTE%20AEREO

but the plane is completely different.

Wiki, for the same year, only tells us:

January 10 – BOAC Flight 781, a de Havilland Comet flying from Rome to London on the last leg of a flight from Singapore, disintegrates in mid-air, when metal fatigue from repeated pressurization cycles compromises the fuselage, killing the 29 passengers and six crew.
April 8 – South African Airways Flight 201, a de Havilland Comet flying from Rome to Cairo bound for Johannesburg, disintegrates in mid-air, killing all 14 passengers and seven crew; as in BOAC Flight 781, the cause is metal fatigue at stress risers at the corners of the square windows in the aluminum skin; subsequently, all pressurized aircraft windows are constructed with wide radius corners.
April 8 – a Royal Canadian Air Force Canadair Harvard collided with a Trans-Canada Airlines Canadair North Star over Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, killing 36 people on the aircraft and 1 person on the ground.
September 5 – KLM Flight 633, a Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation, ditches after takeoff from Shannon Airport in Ireland, killing 28 of 56 on board.

Although there are several air-crashed databases on the web, I think this to be one of the best and most complete:
http://www.baaa-acro.com/

http://www.baaa-acro.com/archives/1954-JAN-JUN.htm

Unfortunately, it only shows two crashes for a Miles plane, both in 1954 and both from an Aerovan type, one in Spain and the second in New Zealand,

Marco  Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #2 il: 11 Mag 2011, 16:18:58 »

I think we need more info about the Italian crash site - where and when, if possible.
In Italy, the Bureau for plane accidents and crashes is the Agenzia Nazionale per la Sicurezza del Volo or National Agency for the Safety of Flight.
http://www.ansv.it/En/Index.asp

I also looked here,

http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Year=1954

but not this database or the other ones talk about this plane and that year...

Offline tracker

« Risposta #3 il: 12 Mag 2011, 07:28:32 »
OK, friends, I understood You.

I think, Miles Magister are TOO SMALL airplanes to watch their fates in crash databases. Those databases operates more with PASSENGER planes and LARGE MILITARY aircrafts; Magister planes had one or two men crews - so, they are not included in these databases (otherwise, all crash databases will be TOO LARGE - because any military and civil aviation of any country of the World had (or have until today) many accidents with single-seat and two-seat aircrafts (especially with trainer aircraft).

I think, for I-AITY search is better to look through old Italian civil register databases, old magazines or even old newspapers. Maybe, some modern Italian historical or modelling magazines wrote about this Magister ? Or some Italian IPMS bulletins ? Maybe, somebody have some collections of old Italian aircraft images ?

Regards,
Tracker.

Offline Marco S.

« Risposta #4 il: 12 Mag 2011, 09:28:07 »

Yes, of course you right - the common and normal databases are not used to refer to small planes like Cessnas and Pipers, even if some of they do this.

The problem is, dear Tracker, that in Italy there are hundreds of journals, newspapers, local bulletins and magazines of all the possible kinds. And it was the same during the past years. Since the WWII, there have been thousands of copies of such journals. How to find a single article?
I have no doubts about it, I am sure that, if a plane crashed somewhere in Italy, at least one (but surely more than one!) journal wrote about this accident. And I am used to go and look for such documents, in the archives and libraries. But... Where? On which paper, parish bulletin, newspaper? Even today there are several aviation magazines.
It would be impossible. It would be like to look for a needle in a haystack.
I kindly suggest you to do these things:

1. To find and show us, if possible, your original source. Even if you still have not this article, it probably came from a newspaper or website you used to read, so it would be quite simple to find it again.

2. To write an e-mail to the ANSV, asking for their help. Maybe they'll be able to find a record.

« Ultima modifica: 12 Mag 2011, 09:29:25 da Marco S. »