HISTORICAL RESEARCH AND RECOVERY HUMANITARIAN - WELCOME ON BOARD - > ENGLISH SECTION

Looking for crash site of Baltimore "U" FW799 16/4/45 possible Lusiana area.

(1/4) > >>

Mogsby64:
Maybe someone can help me please..

I am looking for any information on :
Martin Baltimore "U" FW-799. 500 Sqdrn. Took off from Cesenatico airbase at 00:05 Hrs 16/4/45 and failed to return. The reason for loss is listed as unknown.

Crew details in photo.
Flt Sgt D R Worsdale is my uncle.

Mission details : A RECCE. Rovrigo-Legnaro-Vicenza-Treviso-Mestre-Padua-Rovrigo. Aircraft failed to return to base. Bomb load 32 x 40lb 30 x 4lb incd. Please see attached scan.

The 4 aircrew where found buried in Lusiana town cemetery in 1946.  There are no details of a crash site. Looking at the Recce run, I would imagine the crew got into difficulty over Vicenza as Lusiana is to the North of there. Treviso is to the east. I think the crash site is somewhere around the Lusiana Town area.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mick

micky.38:
Hi Mogsby64

Thanks for the documents, i'll write to Lusiana Council to have more informations, i've heard rumors about an "english plane" crashed in the area, stay tuned for news....

micky.38:
I've checked this book (download link: http://www.giuliocesaro.it/pdf/storici/70clero%20guerra%20e%20resistenza.pdf) about the WWII over the Asiago Plateau and surrounding area. There is some notes about planes downed in the area, but nothing in the area around Lusiana.

I'm still waiting for news from Lusiana Council....

Mogsby64:
Hi micky.38,
Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me, I will have a look at the link you posted. maybe Lusiana council has some information, I hope so.
Kind Regards
Mick

Fabio:
Dear Mick,
in a few days I will go to Padova ... If you like, I send you the picture of the headstone of your uncle.

Navigazione

[0] Indice dei post

[#] Pagina successiva

Vai alla versione completa