HISTORICAL RESEARCH AND RECOVERY HUMANITARIAN - WELCOME ON BOARD - > ENGLISH SECTION

P-47 Crash Near Massa, 1944

(1/7) > >>

PJ Montana:
Ciao storici dell'aviazione,
Sono molto felice di avere trovato questo sito, e la speranza possibile asssit.

I am looking for information on a P-47 that crashed near Massa on 29 December, 1944.  The family of the pilot, Lt. John Phelan, are good friends, and my uncle was also a P-47 pilot.  The MACR indicated that the plane perhaps crashed near the marina near Massa. 

Lt. Phelan was with the 350th FG, 346th FS and was based at Pisa at the time.  He was reported to the family as missing in action until the war was over.  His remains are now buried in the state of Montana in the US.  The short life of John Phelan is a very interesting story as he first completed his missions in a B-17 before re training in the P-47.

Any information you can provide on this crash would be appreciated!

Grazie per il vostro interesse, e lavoro che fate!
PJ

micky.38:
Welcome PJ, we will happy to help.

Did you have a pic of Lt. Phelan?

micky.38:
MACR 10946 29 Dec 44

Republic P-47D-26-RA Thunderbolt    42-28333

Phelan, John William    O-742888    346FS    350FG    12AF    MIA

Squadron mission #162. FOD.

Location, 4401 N-1006 E, Point Of Departure, Pisa, Italy

micky.38:
Here's the Daily Operation Record for the day, december 29th 1944, someone can post the macr? i didn't have it...

micky.38:
Note for th many militaria enthusiasts on this forum: Many of Lt. Phelan personal Uniforms, cap, jackets and other items are depicted in this book:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105096185/Silver-Wings-Pinks-and-Greens-Uniforms-Wings-Insignia-of-USAAF-Airmen-in-World-War-II#scribd

Navigazione

[0] Indice dei post

[#] Pagina successiva

Vai alla versione completa